Microsoft has made a large number of changes to the way their operating systems work in recent years. One such change is the introduction of compatTelrunner, a program that helps Windows 10 users run applications from older versions of Windows. The program was introduced in order to help people transition from older versions of Windows and make use of new features like Cortana.
Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is a compatibility system that helps improve the quality of Windows and Microsoft products. The microsoft compatibility telemetry turn off is a process that can be used to disable the service.
Compattelrunner.exe is using a lot of your CPU, according to Task Manager.
You have no idea what Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is or what CompatTelrunner.exe does on my system?
When a customer updated from Windows 8 to Windows 10, he discovered that CompatTelrunner.exe was using up almost 95% of his hard drive space.
First and foremost, you need not be concerned since you are not alone in this; many people have reported that Compattelrunner.exe acts as malware at times and have expressed their dissatisfaction with Microsoft as a result of Compattelrunner.exe’s excessive CPU use on Windows 11.
We’ve put together a list of the best ways to solve CompatTelrunner.exe’s excessive CPU use.
There are a few key concerns about the CompatTelrunner exe issue that you should consider before proceeding with the repair.
What is Compattelrunner.exe and what does it do?
Compattelrunner.exe is an executable file that stands for Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry. It was first introduced in Windows 7, and is now now available in Windows 10 and 11.
Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry gathers and transmits use and performance data to Microsoft IP addresses in order to protect the Windows device and enhance the user experience.
Compattelrunner.exe is stored in the C:/Windows/System32/ subdirectory and is about 141 KB in size.
So, anytime Compattelrunner exe sends user data to Microsoft IP addresses, it’s clear that it’ll consume a lot of disk/CPU, and deactivating it will cause other Windows OS systems to fail.
Is it necessary to deactivate CompatTelRunner.exe?
I don’t suggest disabling CompatTelrunner.exe since all the data gathered for your system’s security and excellent user experience will be lost if you do so, and your OS will become less secure.
Disabling CompatTelrunner.exe is the only solution if it is using a lot of your CPU resources.
Also see: FIXED: WaasMedic Agent.exe Using a Lot of Disk Space?
Is the CompatTelRunner.exe executable a virus?
Compattelrunner.exe is completely secure, since it is a genuine Microsoft Corporation application that has been digitally signed. However, most users have not found it to be safe.
Because it is legal, hackers may attempt to alter it and use CompatTelrunner.exe to carry out their illicit operations.
Furthermore, if you are a Windows XP user and notice the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry process running on your computer, it is an undesirable application since this file is no longer functional.
Also, we can determine if Compattelrunner.exe is a virus or not by looking at the file location, which should be at the default file location when it was created.
Still, if you want to be cautious, you may use Task Manager to see whether there’s a virus:
- To launch Task Manager, press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys simultaneously.
- Look for Compattelrunner.exe in the Details section.
- Also, make sure the name in the description column on the right side is accurate.
- Select Open file location from the context menu by right-clicking on it.
- If it’s in C:WindowsSystem32, double-click it.
And if it’s not in the provided address, it may be a virus or malware, therefore my suggestion is to perform a complete system check with your anti-virus software.
Solution 1: Use the Local Group Policy Editor to disable Allow Telemetry.
Security, Basic, Enhanced, and Full are the four tiers of the Windows Telemetry program in Windows 10/11.
To solve Compattelrunner.exe’s excessive CPU consumption, use a local group policy editor to deactivate it or run it on the basic level.
Here’s how to go about it:
- To open the Run dialog box, press Windows Key + R.
- Enter the command gpedit.msc.
- Double-click Computer Configuration in the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor.
- Double-click the Administrative Templates folder from the list of folders below.
- Double-click Windows Components after that.
- Now, scroll down until you find the Data Collection and Preview Builds folder and click on it.
- You’ll notice a couple choices on the right under the Data Collection and Preview Builds section, and you must choose Allow Telemetry.
- Allow Telemetry may be edited by right-clicking on it and selecting Edit.
- Disabled is selected, followed by Apply and OK.
- Restart your computer and see whether Compattelrunner.exe is still using a lot of CPU.
CHECK OUT: What is Acrord32.exe If You Have a High CPU Error
Solution 2: Using the Registry Editor, disable CompatTelrunner.
If you have Windows 8 or Windows 10/11 Home Edition, you may deactivate Compattelrunner and get rid of Compattelrunner.exe’s excessive CPU use by using the registry editor.
As a result, here’s what you’ll need to do:
- To open the Run dialog box, press Windows Key + R.
- Enter regedit in the search box.
- Double-click the computer icon in the Registry Editor window.
- You’ll notice a number of folders; double-click on HKEY LOCAL MACHINE to open it.
- To find the Policies folder, double-click on Software and then search for it.
- Double-click Microsoft > Windows once you’ve clicked on the Policies folder.
- Right-click on the right vacant spot in the Data Collection.
- Now type Allow Telemetry in the new folder’s name and click Enter.
- Double-click the Allow Telemetry folder, then in the Value data field, enter 0.
- And then click OK to save your adjustments and see whether Compattelrunner.exe is still using a lot of CPU.
If the previous method failed to resolve Compattelrunner.exe High CPU Usage, go to the next step.
Solution 3: Using Task Scheduler, disable Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser.
High disk utilization may be resolved by disabling all processes connected to Compattelrunner.exe.
So, here’s how to use Task Scheduler to deactivate Compattelrunner:
- Click the Search icon in the Taskbar, which is found below.
- Open Task Scheduler by typing it in the search box.
- Double-click Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft in the left pane.
- Double-click Windows > Application Experience once again.
- In the right pane, look for Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser and disable it with a right-click.
- Check whether Compattelrunner.exe High disk Usage has been resolved after restarting your computer.
Also see: What Is the Microsoft Block Level Backup Engine Service and How Do I Fix It?
Solution 4: Using MSConfig to do a clean boot to fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry
Clean boot will assist you in removing any background programs that are unneeded.
It will also assist in the repair of Compattelrunner.exe and the replacement of the damaged file that is causing excessive CPU use.
Also, close any apps that are incompatible with one another.
This is how you do a Clean Boot:
- Press the Windows key and the R key at the same time.
- The Dialogue Box for Running will display.
- Press Enter after typing “msconfig.”
- The window for System Configuration will appear.
- Uncheck the boxes for Load system services and Load startup items on the General page, since this will only utilize Microsoft services when your PC reboots.
- Now go to the Service tab and uncheck all the services that aren’t needed.
- Only those who aren’t consuming a lot of CPU should be checked.
- And that’s it; your clean boot is complete, and all unneeded services have been removed.
- The Compattelrunner.exe issue on Windows 11 will be resolved after restarting your computer.
Solution #5: Check the System Files
On Windows 11, a corrupted file may cause CompatTelrunner.exe to use a lot of CPU, preventing your application from running.
So, if CompatTelrunner.exe duplicated itself, the Sfc (System file checker) lets you search for faults and replaces them.
To solve the CompatTelrunner exe’s excessive CPU consumption, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Command Prompt as an Administrator.
- Alternatively, go to the Startup menu and type “Command Prompt,” then choose Run as administrator.
- “sfc /scannow” is the command to use.
- Make sure the gaps between instructions aren’t too big.
- Don’t interrupt this operation since it may take up to 20 minutes.
- After that, restart your computer to see whether CompatTelrunner.exe’s excessive CPU use has been resolved.
MMC.exe Error Blocked (Also Read)
Solution 6: Fix CompatTelrunner.exe by updating to Windows 11 High Disk Utilization
CompatTelrunner.exe excessive disk utilization may sometimes be traced back to an out-of-date computer.
To get the most performance out of your PC, ensure sure your Windows operating system is up to date.
Bugs or problems like Compattelrunner.exe and excessive disk utilization will be addressed with future versions.
So, here’s how to upgrade your Windows 11 operating system:
- Select the Windows icon.
- When you click the Settings icon, a new window will appear.
- From the left menu, choose Windows Update.
- A new window will appear.
- Then, on the Check for Updates icon, click.
- If an update is available, it will begin upgrading the PC.
- It will take some time for Windows to update, and then you may restart your computer.
If the last solution failed to repair Compattelrunner.exe, you may try the following one.
Also see: TOASTER.EXE Error
Solution 7: Fix Viruses and Threats by Scanning Compattelrunner.exe
You may get a virus when you download anything from a bad website.
Even if you have an antivirus program installed on your computer, it will not be able to completely secure your system.
Compattelrunner.exe may also use a lot of disk, CPU, and network resources.
To get rid of Compattelrunner.exe High Disk Usage in Windows 11, perform a virus check using the built-in virus protection program in Windows 11.
Here’s how to do it:
- Select the Search icon.
- Make a selection of options.
- Now choose Privacy & Security > Windows Security from the drop-down menu.
- Click on Quick scan under Virus & Threat Protection.
- Wait for the scan to complete before deciding whether you want to delete or block the infection.
- After that, restart your computer to check whether Compattelrunner.exe High Disk has been resolved.
So, these are the finest Compattelrunner.exe solutions we could find for you. In Windows 11 and later, there is a lot of CPU use.
Disabling perfmon.exe from your system is not a simple task, and we don’t advocate it, therefore we’ve given you with the best options.
It’s ideal if you attempt all of the remedies, and if you have any other suggestions or questions about Compattelrunner exe excessive disk use, please let us know in the comments area below.
Is turning off Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry a good idea?
Many services rely on Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry, thus it’s not a good idea to deactivate it. However, if it’s consuming too much GPU and slowing things down, you may disable it.
CompatTelRunner.exe crashes for no apparent reason.
CompatTelRunner exe crashes when files are damaged, or when the data it tries to gather is corrupted.
Is CompatTelRunner.exe a secure executable?
Compattelrunner.exe is not a virus unless it multiplies or causes damage to your computer, therefore it is completely safe.
What is the location of Compattelrunner.exe?
Compattelrunner.exe is stored in C:WindowsSystem32 by default when it was created.
The microsoft compatibility telemetry disable reddit is a tool that allows users to disable the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry service.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I permanently turn off Microsoft compatibility telemetry?
Microsoft compatibility telemetry is a feature that collects data in order to help improve the experience of using Windows. If you want to turn it off, you can do so by disabling Send diagnostic and usage data from within your privacy settings.
What is CompatTelRunner exe Microsoft compatibility telemetry?
CompatTelRunner is a Microsoft compatibility telemetry agent that is installed in Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 by default. It collects information about the software you are running, hardware you are using, and system settings to help Microsoft improve their products.
Should I disable CompatTelRunner exe?
CompatTelRunner exe is a process that allows the game to run on Windows 7, 8, and 10. This is not required for your computer to function properly, but its still recommended to disable.
- microsoft compatibility telemetry necessary
- microsoft compatibility telemetry high cpu
- microsoft compatibility telemetry high disk
- microsoft compatibility telemetry high cpu windows 10
- microsoft compatibility telemetry reddit